Fear Led Me to...



Shame, guilt and addictive behaviors are all fueled by Fear. This morning I thought about all of the various ways fear has ruled my decisions, my actions, my entire sense of being. This is not an all-inclusive list. I'm sure I'll be adding more to it. But here goes...

Fear led me:

-to allow shame and guilt be my personal companions, 24/7.

-to become alienated from my natural self.

-to surrender my personal power and natural self to most everyone. “I’m your puppet.”

-to please everyone in order to get their stamp of approval on my unworthy self.

-to remain bound in the chains created by others so I could secure their "on-going" approval.

-to shrink in shame and guilt if I said or did something to lose the approval of others.

-to hide my worthless self from most everyone for fear of being ridiculed and rejected.

-to manipulate anyone who offered me crumbs of attention by caretaking and people-pleasing them while neglecting my own needs.

-to give up my heart's deep down natural dreams from childhood in order to accept the morals and beliefs others imposed on me.

-to keep me in-check every time I tried to break free from my internal prison— the one I locked myself into so I could please family, church and everyone around me.

-to take multiple steps backwards whenever I rejoiced over the freedom I felt by taking one step forward.

 -to believe I was a bad person because I had my own God-given dreams, needs and wants.

-to embrace the idea that if I dared to be my true self and live my life my way, I would be condemned to hell for failing to follow the rules of others.

This is a pretty good list of the bondage I allowed fear to trap me into over my lifetime. It's a list that I am now using to free myself from the very chains society (family, church, school, etc.) used to entrap me. I am replacing fear with love and courage and choosing to go against any thought or feeling that is fear-based. I succeeded today in escaping the fear-trap by refusing to do something that I once forced myself to do for fear of hell. Now, I choose not to be bullied by that same fear. Pushing past the fear, I now feel secure.



I am beginning to trust myself and the Higher Power of my understanding.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become the Person You Want to Spend Your Life With Everyday

Playing Favorites Destroys Families

If The Eyes Had No Tears, The Soul Would Have No Rainbow

The Prayer of a Codependent Maniac