Experiencing Higher Love



“I want a Higher Love that makes me feel unconditionally loved, heard, validated, and cared about at all times. I want a Higher Love that comforts me and makes me feel valuable. I want a Love so great that I feel safe, warm and cared about always.” I originally prayed these words last Friday. As the day progressed, I felt myself changing gently inside.

Traffic in Los Angeles was horrific on Friday, so I decided against going back to Hollywood. Instead I went back to Knott’s Berry Farm to walk through the shops. I wanted to get something for the friends who have hosted me here, allowing me to stay with them. I found some nice things in one of the shops. The clerk who waited on me sent someone to get a gift box and it took considerable time for the person to return with the box. She (the clerk) was feeling the pressure, since we Americans are so impatient. But I wasn’t. In the past I would have felt impatient and anxious. I would have been agitated and mad. Friday I was at peace waiting.

I left Knott’s Berry Farm and went to Long Beach. At Fern’s garden I bought two amulets, one for Love and one for Clarity. I don’t usually wear anything around my neck, but I like the idea of wearing something that says “Love.” Afterwards I walked over to a Mediterranean restaurant. I was seated, placed my order and then asked for directions to the restroom. When I returned from the restroom, there were two people seated at my table. I was confused but I wasn’t mad. The waiter got my attention and directed me to an even better table on the patio.

When my order arrived, a Halibut sandwich with Greek salad, I took a bite of the sandwich and noticed it tasted different. It wasn’t Halibut. It was a roasted veggie sandwich. Again, I wasn’t upset that the order was wrong. It tasted good. After I had nearly finished the first half of the sandwich, the waiter showed up with a Halibut sandwich and a flustered look on his face. He apologized and I said “It’s OK. This is good and I will finish it.” I knew I couldn’t eat both. He seemed relieved that I understood it was a crazy day for him and that I wasn’t angry.

Truth is, I didn’t feel angry at all. I didn’t complain to myself. I didn’t feel like a victim. I wasn’t singing “Why me?” I felt love and peace—for myself and for the waiter.

So I feel like my new Higher Power (Higher Love) quickly moved-in to my heart and soul. I am waiting now to see how this new Higher Love will grow inside of me. If you, too, are struggling with God, or with knowing a Higher Power, pray for that Power to make itself known inside of you. I hope you will experience the unexpected-- and unexplainable-- peace and love that I have.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Become the Person You Want to Spend Your Life With Everyday

Playing Favorites Destroys Families

If The Eyes Had No Tears, The Soul Would Have No Rainbow

The Prayer of a Codependent Maniac