The Prayer of a Codependent Maniac



Dear Lord, it seems I’m always one thought away from being a codependent maniac! Negative thinking has ruled by mind and my behavior for so long that it’s effortless.

I have been the worst thing that has ever happened to me. Funny thing is, at the same time, I have been desperately searching for the person who could be the best thing that’s ever happened to me.

I’ve searched everywhere for that special person who could love me unconditionally, fix all that’s wrong with me, and set me free from all of my misery. Yet I’ve failed to find that person, even though we cross paths everyday.

Until this very moment, I never realized, Lord, that the person I’ve been searching for is me. I have to be the best thing that has ever happened to me. No one else can be.

Once I become the best thing that’s ever happened to me, my happiness will be complete. Then and only then will I happen upon a special person who can compliment my happiness, but who can never be my happiness.

Help me Lord to be the best thing that has ever happened to me by teaching me to love myself with great compassion and kindness. Change my negative “maniac” thinking into healthy, happy, positive thinking that I may truly be the best thing that’s ever happened to me, outside of You. Amen.

Comments

  1. I woke up this morning in emotional agony and self hatred, miserable about all the painful relationships in my life. Sat down at my desk to start my devotions, opened a notebook I had not used in awhile and came across a note I had taken during a Celebrate Recovery meeting in July 2012, found a page that said "the prayer of a codependent manaic, google it" so I did. I am taking it as an message from God because before I got out of bed this morning, in tears again, I cried out to God that I really need You today, I just can't stop crying.I am begging God to heal my heart and mind.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm happy to know that you are reaching out and taking responsibility for your own life by choosing to help yourself. Everyone is lovable, including you, so I encourage you to value yourself with gentleness, compassion and kindness.

      Delete
  2. I am a recovering alcoholic that has realized I am codependent.going to my first coda meeting next Saturday.I believe that is the place I will find peace.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are many recovering alcoholics in my CODA meeting. Addiction is a relationship dis-ease. It starts because we have developed a bad relationship with ourselves through poor self-love. Stick with CODA and build that good relationship with yourself that you deserve.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Become the Person You Want to Spend Your Life With Everyday

If The Eyes Had No Tears, The Soul Would Have No Rainbow

Playing Favorites Destroys Families